Saturday 15 March 2008

Soiree

Lesson one from the first party I went to in Paris. Despite what my high school French teacher said, it is not called a "boum". It is a "soiree". This little faux pas garnered some roaring laughter from my interlocutor.

Lesson two is that parties everywhere are the same, everyone gets on a lot better after a few drinks.

Lesson three is educated Parisiens speak much better English than I can speak French and will only tolerate my French to tell me "it's cute".

Lesson four is that raw cauliflower counts as a reasonable party nibble.

Lesson five is that the last metro is at 2am so either get ready to leave at 1.30 or be ready to hang out till 5.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Une boum!!! Ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah ah!!!!!!!!!! That's when you're 12 and organize some afternoon games and nibbles and dancing in your parents' garage... Very cute! ;-)

Alice said...

Well my high school French teacher didn't know the difference! Glad you found it as funny as the people who heard me use the word at the party.
P.S, it's h-a. Not a-h. Frenchies!