Friday 14 March 2008

The bank

People had warned me that banking in France is difficult but I was determined to disprove them. So I looked on the web, saw a page on the HSBC website suggesting they were keen to set up accounts, even short term ones, for travellers. So I phoned the enquiry line, answered some questions and arranged an interview. Despite the questions on the phone and taking along the required documents, the consultant told me there was no chance of my opening an account with them. At minimum I would need a letter of recommendation from one of their current clients as well as a contract of employment stating that I would be employed "indefinitely". All this in French because, despite the assurances of the woman on the phone, the consultant did not speak English.

I will keep you updated on my further attempts.

No comments: