Monday 14 July 2008

Berlin part 2





These are two images of the same street. If we'd had time I'd have returned to get it from the same angle but that's the reality of traveling. Unter den Linden is one of the main boulevards in Berlin which, like everywhere else, is squirming with growth.







We caught up with Brecht and Hegel and this wonderful artist whose name was Fredrich something or other. I've forgotten already and due to aesthetic reasons, cut his name from my framing of this picture.





On a whim we decided to climb the 300 or so steps of the Victory monument, both forgetting we don't much like heights, so there were some quick snaps from the top and a hurried trip back down the steps. At the bottom you can still see bullet-holes in the mural. (Does one call it a mural is the material in question is bronze?)





Melinda was a little befuddled at my fascination with this vending machine but it sold small plastic rappers, bubblegum and knives. I found the combination interesting. And good value, one could get a knife for 10 centimes with luck, unfortunately I ended up with gum.

My final image of Berlin is from the Altes National Galerie. Aside from my general pleasure at the notion of a museum island (as exists in this fine city) the general care being taken with its reparations is an indication of the value placed on the arts and humanities in Germany. When next we return I have no doubt the whole city will look rather different.

1 comment:

JAS said...

I believe it's called a frieze

:)